Saturday, July 17, 2010

Our little guy is mobile.



Not much really to say out side of the header there. Grant is up and moving around all on his own. By up really am only talking about his head though, he's mostly just army crawling unless some one gets in his way to wrestle.



This new adventure started over the fourth of July weekend. We had taken Grant and his Chinese Grant parents to hang out with my family at Bear Lake, we'd had a good time but it was getting time to go. We were packing up and had put Grant on the bed while we were gathering up our stuff. He'd been a master level roller for a couple month by now so one of us was watching him to make sure he didn't roll any where he didn't belong (like off the bed).



Sure enough he rolled on to one side. He just chilled there for a minute as he often does and the rolled back to his stomach, only this time he moved his arm forward, just a bit. Then he rolled the other side. Again, when he returned to lying on his tummy he moved his free hand forward just enough. It didn't take long for him to realize what had happen. For the first time in his life he had moved along the z axis all on his own.



Excited he repeated the process. We were thrilled. When his Chinese grandparents came in we used a cell phone to coax him to repeat the process. The were thrilled. We took him home and practiced. Soon he realized he didn't need to “swim” to move forward. He has since learned to army crawl and to scoot forward, turning our little click beetle into an inchworm.



It's been really fun to watch him gain this new independence. Well, as fun as anything truly terrifying can be. I'm happy for him, I really am, but I kinda miss the days when all I had to remember was where I put him down. Now he could be anywhere.



That's not all he's doing that makes his father really excited when he does it when I'm in the room but scares the cupcakes out of me when he does it when I'm gone.



So everyone else went grocery shopping today, leaving us for some father/son bonding/rough housing time. He made a mess in his pants and I daddyed it away as best I could (some day I want to write a thesis on the changes that have happened to this kids poops since we started giving him solids). As is normal in these temporary single parent moments I put him in his crib to run and wash my hands.



It's been months since I was shocked to see him in a different position in his bed than the one I put him down in. But this time he was just turned around, he was vertical. As in standing. He'd not only pulled himself up using the edge but he was leaning over the edge at a heart attack inducing angle since the bed hasn't need to be lowered until just then.





So now we're going about baby proofing the house. So far we've piled a bunch of junk in front of the railing so he can't fall through there. We're good parents.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Grant! It is so fun but you're right life gets a little harder when they start really moving. Just wait until he starts walking! But I love all the cute pics! He's getting so big! We can't wait to see him in a few weeks, and you guys too :)

    ReplyDelete